From the Archives

Although demolished, Dot and Mack’s “mom and pop” store on the corner of Miami and Laurel avenues in Madeira remains a revered spot those over 40 who remember it from their childhoods.

Dot and Mack Baldridge pose for a rare photo in their store, a popular business in Madeira until 1975.

A tiny building on the corner now occupied by Adrien Pharmacy once housed the Camargo Bank of Madeira. This bank was mentioned in Bob Ripley’s “Believe It or Not,” a nationally-syndicated, newspaper cartoon feature, as being the smallest bank in the world. The man in the doorway has been identified as Pete Barger.

The Muchmore Building as it looked about 1915. At the time of this picture it had been remodeled. The third floor where the dances were held had been removed, as had the outside steps on the end of the building, leading up to the upper floors.

Early Model A Ford cars sit parked on the corner of Miami and Laurel avenues in Madeira around 1930. Adrien’s Pharmacy sits on the left today and Bank One is located on the right corner of the location in the picture.

Joseph A. Hosbrook, postmaster, standing in front of the Madeira postoffice when it was located in the old Muchmore Building on Miami Avenue. He was the grandfather of Cleo J. Hosbrook.

The Madeira Kroger store at its third location, on Laurel Avenue by the post office. This photo was taken by Cleo Hosbrook April 14, 1983.

Camargo Foods, a Parkview/IGA store, once was located on Euclid Avenue in Madeira, a location now occupied by Madeira Frame and Body. Camargo Foods was owned by John Yasbeck. This photo was furnished by his daughter, actress Amy Yasbeck, who will star in a new Fox network television show starting in January.

The old Madeira Municipal Building which was torn down to make way for the just completed new city hall.

The building that housed Camargo Theater was a magnificent, old building with atmosphere. After the theater closed in 1967, the building became a top restaurant in the area, the Madeira Manor.

The old Madeira train station, where the commuters waited, as it looked before it was remodeled. The bay window on the side is the spot where Brownie Morgan, as a child walking home from school, would see Mr. Ogler, the station master, sitting in a swivel chair doing his work.

Passenger train

Miss Hosbrook’s father, Charles Hosbrook(left), the village engineer, poses with a helper, identified only as L. Bolte.

An old photo of Tice’s Grocery delivery truck, circa World War I

The south end of the Muchmore barn is shown in this picture shot October 28, 1986

Russell and Mary Lou DeMar live in this Sears house, built by Russell’s father, Howard, in 1928

The Fowler House at the corner of Summit and Euclid avenues as it looked in earlier days. It was built in 1856 by Leonard Fowler and is now owned and occupied by Ed and Wilma Hillman. It’s said to be occupied by a ghost.

Hosbrook Farm House

Hosbrook Pond

The Winslows care for the cemetery, keeping it mowed, and they point out its history to any interested person who discovers it.